Monday, May 1, 2017

May 1st 2017

Hello!

This has been another crazy week for us Gogurts. (That's what they
call the missionaries in Glasgow). We've had lots of service
opportunities and taught some great lessons.

First Denise dropped a bombshell on us this week. Said she didn't want
to get baptized because she felt that it was unfair to Korey and that
she would be leaving him behind. So that crushed us. But it was ok
because we took her to our Relief Society presidents house, who is one
of the most amazing people I have met. The spirit was so strong and
Sister May did most of the talking. She was able to talk to her from a
moms perspective and was very inspired on what to say. She invited her
to pray and discuss it with God. When we went back a few days later
Denise was pretty happy. She says she continues to feel more and more
comfortable at church. She said she has been praying a lot and knows
that the Book of Mormon is true and wants to keep her baptismal
date!!! Miracles. God is great, and so is Sister May. So we are very
excited to plan her baptism this week, she will be baptized this
Saturday. :)

We also found 4 new investigators this week. They all have varying
degrees of interest so we will see how that goes, but I'm excited to
keep teaching them. We are still teaching Tony. Still want to kick him
in the head. But he is reading and he came to church so progress is
progress. The only way we could get him to come to church was if we
got permission to go to his church's bible study on Wednesday. It's a
Pentecostal church so that should be interesting.

We had interviews with president this week. It's sad that we only have
1 more with him before we get a new mission president. He bore his
testimony in Stake Conference this week and nearly made us both cry. I
am going to miss them both.

We had a lot of service opportunities this week. We had some ward
members who were moving so we came to clean out their house and get it
ready to sell. We also were asked to come help at the Porters. They
only asked us because no one wanted to clean the garage because it was
pretty gross and they knew we wouldn't say no. But I enjoyed it. I'm
getting pretty good at this whole cleaning thing. First time I've ever
swept a wall before too. Sister Hafen was a little worried about the
spiders, but as long as I killed those first she was fine lol. Empty
garages also have great acoustics for singing just FYI.

Our neighbor also decided to go off the deep end again this week. We
had been gone for most of the week getting psycho evaluated. But he
wasn't back 2 days before things went crazy again. Setting more things
on fire. It actually got out of hand enough that the fire department
and police were called again... but they are finally going to evict
him this weekend I believe. But we actually had a cool experience with
it. So I think it was Wednesday or Thursday night. But the neighbor
and his buddy were drinking pretty heavily. And disgustingly enough
was blasting porn, dancing and shouting to it. They also kept walking
out by our apartment. So Sister Hafen started freaking out which made
me start to be pretty scared too. They knew we were 2 young girls by
ourselves, so we were thinking of leaving to go stay with a member but
afraid to leave the apartment since they would probably see us. So I
made her come kneel and pray with me. We prayed for guidance,
protection, peace, and clarity of mind. And slowly the fear just went
away. I felt we needed to stay in the apartment and that we were safe.
And I swear we were literally surrounded my angels. I could feel them.
I just knew they were there. I knew there was one in front of our
door, standing at attention. All around our apartment between us and
them. I felt like we were in a fortress and that we would not be
bothered that night. And we weren't. Sister Hafen was still scared so
I sat up with her and told her funny stories of when we were kids till
she was comfortable enough to go to bed. I still put the table in
front of the door though. The Lord helps those who help themselves
after all.

The other crazy thing that I am none to happy about is that Sister
Hafen is getting emergency transferred tomorrow. Apparently it got
really bad between 2 sisters and they are splitting them up just 2
weeks before actual transfers. So they are sending one here and
putting Sister Hafen with the other one. We are both very upset about
it. The week of Denise's baptism too. I am very worried for both of
us. Prayers will be appreciated.

Other than that still loving Kentucky. Being a missionary is awesome.

Love and miss you all.










Sister Hoyt

No comments: